Thursday, June 14, 2007

A hard day in the palace....


Today was a sad/happy day for me. I want so badly to be in Seattle right now for Hilly's graduation. It is a hard thing to miss. Conversely, I am ecstatic for HER.... It's a truly big day.
Work was, I suppose, cathartic, as it was physically exhausting, tedious, and required much patience and attention. What was this fascinating task, you ask? Removing tongue and groove wood flooring and then (the bulk of the day) removing  slate tiles:


one..................................
at.....................................                                    
a......................................                         
time.


Phew. I kept telling myself it was worth it...for reuse/resale? Was I successfully removing at least HALF?! (Yes). Best find an architectural salvage around here soon.... Things are piling up fast. Only one smash to the hand betwixt rubber mallet and tool. Wail. That was cathartic, too (twistedly). It's the kneeling/bending over thing....yow, me back is achin'! 'Twas a pain in the patootey (check THAT spell checker!), but over now. Just wonder board (Dur-rock) to remove, and then the rest of the tongue and groove wood flooring and then the sub-floor and THEN: the entire floor will become the abyss! But THAT'S for tomorrow. It's freaky therapy, man.


My Seattle ties pulled tight, I now sip a Washington state wine (excellent!) and listen to Sleater-Kinny.
I give you progress in baby steps....


      All that tile....


So, I can barely walk, my hands and forearms are screamin'..... the pasta water is heating, the pine nuts are toasting, the Red Diamond Washington Shiraz (2002) is really delicious (thank-you Michelle and Marlene) Hmmm.... puttanesca or arugula pesto?? I do NOT believe in suffering. Life is GOOD.

No comments: